hbase-user mailing list archives

From Tao Xie <xietao.mail...@gmail.com>
Subject how about zookeeper overhead?
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 03:09:08 GMT
I see the following recommendation in
http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.6/api/overview-summary.html#requirements

"It is recommended to run a ZooKeeper quorum of 3, 5 or 7 machines, and give
each ZooKeeper server around 1GB of RAM, and if possible, its own dedicated
disk. For very heavily loaded clusters, run ZooKeeper servers on separate
machines from the Region Servers (DataNodes and TaskTrackers).

Now my cofiguration is
1 master + NN
1 client (doing heavy put & get)
6 RS+DN+ZK.

If I start only one zk on the master node, I see throughput for put
operation increase. I want to know what's the correct way to configure zk
and if I have only one zk, what about the impacts to put and get
performance? Can the zk becomes bottleneck? I heard someone says the read
performance will be negatively affected. I haven't tested it yet.

Thanks.