hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: regionserver skew
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 19:03:50 GMT
On Fri, Sep 3, 2010 at 6:22 PM, Sharma, Avani <agsharma@ebay.com> wrote:
> I read on the mailing list that the region server that has .META table handles more requests.
That sounds okay, but in my case the 3rd regionserver has 0 requests! And I feel that's what
slowing down the read performance. Also the hit ratio at the other regionserver is 87% or
so. Only the one that hosts .META has 95+% hit ratio.

Are your reads distributed across the whole namespace or are they only
fetching some subset? If a subset, it can be the case that the subset
is totally hosted by a single regionserver and while your test is
running, its only pulling form this single server.  Is that your case?
 (You do understand how rows are distributed on an hbase cluster?)

Also,  how many regions do you have?  You said you have 2G of data
total at one stage.  That likely does not make for many regions.  If
so, it could also be the case that all the server that is not fielding
requests may not be actually carrying data, or little data.  Is this
your case?

St.Ack