hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Scott <mjscott...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase standalone cannot start master, cannot assign requested address at port 60000
Date Tue, 14 Sep 2010 16:33:41 GMT
Thanks again.  Don't worry, we're not exposing to the outside world, I was
just clarifying that the IP address exists and takes connections, both
internal and external, on other ports.  I will see if I can figure out why
it is choking on the 60000 port.  I'm not much of on expert on this, I know
to look in netstat but that's about it.  I'll report back with what I find.
I have tried editing the port number in hbase-site.xml, and it won't bind to
any other port either.  The error message for 60000 and other non-privileged
ports not in use is the same as the error message I get if I try to bind to
a port that I know is taken, like 50010.  If I try a low-numbered privileged
port then I get "Permission denied" instead.  I don't see why hadoop binds
to a port but hbase does not (I even tried starting hbase with hadoop off
and binding to 50010, which hadoop uses).

Michael