hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: all regions unregistered over time.
Date Wed, 22 Sep 2010 06:38:19 GMT
On Tue, Sep 21, 2010 at 11:11 PM, Jack Levin <magnito@gmail.com> wrote:
> Its definitely binary, and I can even load it in my browser but
> setting appropriate headers.  So I guess for PUT and GET via Accept:
> application/octet-stream there is no base64 encoding at all.

OK.  Good.  If it were base64'd, you'd see it.

> Btw, out of curiosity I have region max file size set to 1GB now, but
> what if I set it to say 10G or 50G?  Is their significant overhead in
> address seeking via HDFS?

You could do that.  We don't have much experience running regions of
that size.  You should for sure pre-split your table on creation if
you go this route (See HBaseAdmin API [1]).  This method is not
available in shell so you'd have to script it or write a little java
to do it).

St.Ack

1. http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.89.20100726/apidocs/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/client/HBaseAdmin.html#createTable(org.apache.hadoop.hbase.HTableDescriptor,
byte[][])