hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Slow Inserts on EC2 Cluster
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 11:14:37 GMT
> From: Bradford Stephens
> I'm banging my head against some perf issues on EC2. I'm
> using .20.6 on ASF hadoop .20.2, and tweaked the ec2 hbase
> scripts to handle the new version.
>
> I'm trying to insert about 22G of data across nodes on EC2
> m1.large instances [...]

c1.xlarge provides (barely) adequate I/O bandwidth.

Those periods of higher latency that you mention in the part of your mail that I clipped are
probably due to hypervisor stealing your resources to attend to a noisy neighbor with a better
reservation class.

I would not consider EC2 a high performance platform, except for maybe their cluster compute
nodes which have been specially engineered for HPC using a completely different virtualization
and network architecture than the rest. EC2 is about bulk processing on a reasonable (subject
to definition) timeframe at cheap/elastic prices.

  - Andy