hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: Limits on HBase
Date Mon, 06 Sep 2010 23:10:37 GMT
I'm not sure what you mean by "optimized cell size" or whether you're just asking about practical
limits?

HBase is generally used with cells in the range of tens of bytes to hundreds of kilobytes.
 However, I have used it with cells that are several megabytes, up to about 50MB.  Up at that
level, I have seen some weird performance issues.

The most important thing is to be sure to tweak all of your settings.  If you have 20MB cells,
you need to be sure to increase the flush size beyond 64MB and the split size beyond 256MB.
 You also need enough memory to support all this large object allocation.

And of course, test test test.  That's the easiest way to see if what you want to do will
work :)

When you run into problems, e-mail the list.

As far as row size is concerned, the only issue is that a row can never span multiple regions
so a given row can only be in one region and thus be hosted on one server at a time.

JG