hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: Slow Inserts on EC2 Cluster
Date Wed, 01 Sep 2010 17:04:15 GMT
While I completely agree with much of what you're saying, and am usually one of the first to
encourage people to not use virtual machines w/ HBase, I know of several successful deployments
of HBase on EC2.  In most instances there was some pain encountered, but it does work for
some.

I've not seen these specific issues you seem to be running in to (periodically spiking load
but no cpu or iowait).

I'm not sure I know what HBase could do to operate better in these environments.  I'm not
sure I understand exactly what is happening to RS and ZooKeeper when EC2 is being weird.
You can't talk to ZK because of a networking issue?  Have you dug in to the ZK server logs
to see what's up?

HBase is a highly available service, we need to do heartbeating of some kind, so lose of network
connectivity is a killer.

It could also be that ZK is being starved of IO so that it cannot write to its transaction
log and that is what is slowing it down.

JG