hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Buttler, David" <buttl...@llnl.gov>
Subject RE: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89
Date Tue, 28 Sep 2010 16:35:10 GMT
I have tried upgrading on one of my test clusters.  I can say that the code changes are relatively
small and minor.  Things that I had to change:
1) how I was creating my Configuration objects -- using HBaseConfiguration.create() instead
of new HBaseConfiguration()
2) how I was defining my column families in creating a table (since I wasn't just using the
defaults)

I don't know about all of the little config changes that have bitten me and I haven't noticed
yet.

I currently suggest that you use the CDH3 hadoop package.  Apparently StumbleUpon has a production
version of 0.89 that they are using.  It would be helpful if Cloudera put that in their distribution.

Dave

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark Laffoon [mailto:mlaffoon@semanticresearch.com]
Sent: Tuesday, September 28, 2010 8:00 AM
To: user@hbase.apache.org
Subject: Upgrading 0.20.6 -> 0.89

We're using 0.20.6; we have a non-trivial application using many aspects
of hbase; we have a couple of customers in production; we understand this
is still pre-release, however we don't want to lose any data.

Will upgrading to 0.89 be a PITA?

Should we expect to be able to upgrade the servers without losing data?

Will there be tons of client code changes?

What about configuration changes (especially little changes that will bite
us)?

Do we need/want to upgrade hadoop at all (we're on 0.20.2)?

If we do upgrade, what is the recommended package to get it from?

Thanks in advance for any or all answers,

Mark