hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Using HBase's export/import function...
Date Fri, 06 Aug 2010 19:51:24 GMT

StAck...

LOL...

The idea is to automate the use of the export function to be run within a cron job.
(And yes, there are some use cases where we want to actually back data up.. ;-)
I originally wanted to do this in ksh (yeah I'm that old. :-) but ended up looking at Python
because I couldn't figure out how to create the time stamp in ksh.

As to documentation... just something which tells us what is meant by start time and end time.
(Like that its in ms from the epoch instead of making us assume that.)
[And you know what they say about assumptions.]

As to converting the date / time to a timestamp...

In Python:
You build up a date object then you can do the following:
mytime = datetime.datetime(year,month,day,hour,min,sec) *where hour,min,sec are optional
mytimestamp = time.mktime(mytime.timetuple())

I'm in the process of testing this... I think it will work.

Thx

-Mike

> Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2010 11:28:57 -0700
> Subject: Re: Using HBase's export/import function...
> From: stack@duboce.net
> To: user@hbase.apache.org
>
> On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 11:13 AM, Michael Segel
> <michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:
> > 2) There isn't any documentation, I'm assuming that the start time and end times
are timestamps (long values representing the number of miliseconds since the epoch which are
what is being stored in hbase).

> Yes.
>
> What kinda doc. do you need?  The javadoc on the class is minimal:
> http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.6/api/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce/Export.html
>

> > 3) Is there an easy way to convert a date in to a time stamp? (not in ksh, and I'm
struggling on finding a way to reverse the datetime object in python.