hbase-user mailing list archives

From Vidhyashankar Venkataraman <vidhy...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Questions on HBase...
Date Fri, 13 Aug 2010 22:38:37 GMT
Can you guys help me with these questions?

1) Consistency guarantees for reads in Hbase:
        What happens when you issue a direct bulk incremental update without using the API?
   Say, a new storefile is created in a region through the bulk tool. Already existing scanners
will not have an effect on the new updates. But new scanners would. Is this correct?
    And what will happen to the block cache? Are they marked dirty after the new upload?

2) Regionserver failures:
     I know that when a region server is running properly but is unreachable for some time
(a few minutes), then zk will change its state to expired. And when the RS is reachable again,
it will access the zk state, know that it is viewed dead and will throw an exception. Can
you guys let me know if I am correct?
    What if a regionserver is unreachable for a longer time (say an hour) and then is again
reachable? Does it have the same effect as the previous case?

Thank you
Vidhya