hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: improving random read performance
Date Sat, 21 Aug 2010 00:28:40 GMT
Yeah.  Thats downside to using HADOOP_CLASSPATH.  If its contents
change, processes that depend on it need relaunch.

If you don't want to change per hbase version, bundle hbase into you
job jar? From http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.6/api/org/apache/hadoop/hbase/mapreduce/package-summary.html#classpath

"Another possibility, if for example you do not have access to
hadoop-env.sh or are unable to restart the hadoop cluster, is bundling
the hbase jars into a mapreduce job jar adding it and its dependencies
under the job jar lib/ directory and the hbase conf into the job jars
top-level directory."

You do not need to restart hdfs.  You'd just need to restart
tasktrackers since these are the doohickeys running the MR jobs that
depend on hbase.

St.Ack

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 5:14 PM, Sharma, Avani <agsharma@ebay.com> wrote:
> Thanks. After I upgrade to 0.20.6, I have to go and change the HADOOP_CLASSPATH in hadoop-env.sh
which points to hbase jars, since the names of the jars have changed : /usr/local/hbase-0.20.6/hbase-0.20.6.jar.

> Will I have to restart hdfs after the change - this would mean upgrade required hbase
restart and hdfs restart ?
> I am guessing there might be a simpler way to do this.
>
> -Avani

for random reads.I thought stargate would have some latency. Is this expected?