hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Server-side write buffer configuration
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 18:37:33 GMT
That's pretty powerful machines, I would expect more performance. You
could try using the same settings that we do here, checkout ryan's
presentation, page 16:
http://people.apache.org/~jdcryans/HUG8/HUG8-rawson.pdf

Google "IO wait" to learn about it.

Multi-clients will be faster unless you are already maxing out the
machines (betting 100$ you're not), it's like asking if doing parallel
processing will be faster than sequential processing.

J-D

On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 11:21 AM, Han Liu <hanl1@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
> Thanks for the reply J-D.
> In-lined.  :)
>

> On Aug 9, 2010, at 1:57 PM, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:
>
>> Hard to tell if it's decent performance. How do you define "decent"?
> I consider it descent if it is roughly the best performance one can get using my schema
on my machines
>> What kind of hardware are we talking about?
> One machine for HBase master and 6 regionservers. Specs of each of these machines:
> 16 GB Ram
> 4 1TB 7200RPM SATA Drives
> 10 Gb Network: 1x Qlogic QLE3142-Cu-CK
> CPU: 2x quad-core E5440 (2.83GHz, 12MB L2 cache, 1333 MHz FSB)
>> Which version are you
>> using?
> 0.20.4
>> How much memory was given to HBase?
> 6 GB
>>
>> Also did you set the write buffer on the client side on HTable?
> Yes I set it to be "1024*1024*12" bytes
>> Did
>> you also turn off auto-flushing?
> Yes it's turned off
>> Do you monitor your cluster? If so,
>> do you see lots if IO wait?
> I didn't.. What do IO waits indicate?
>>
>> And finally, do you use a single client or multiple ones?
>>
> Single client. Will multiple client boost performance?
>> :)
>>
> :) :)
>
> Thanks a lot.
>> J-D
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 9, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Han Liu <hanl1@andrew.cmu.edu> wrote:
>>> Hi Guys,
>>>
>>> I know on the client side of HBase there's a configuration" hbase.client.write.buffer".
I wonder if there's a similar configuration on the region server side that i can tweak to
adjust performance?

>>> Also as of right now I have managed to insert 15gb data to a 6-regionserver HBase
database in roughly 26 minutes using the "table.put(Put p)" schema. Generally is this a decent
performance?