hbase-user mailing list archives

From Abhijit Pol <a...@rocketfuelinc.com>
Subject Hbase read performance with increasing number of client threads
Date Thu, 19 Aug 2010 17:15:53 GMT
We are using Hbase 0.20.5 drop with latest cloudera Hadoop distribution.

- We are hitting 3 nodes Hbase cluster from a client which has 10
threads each with thread local copy of HTable client object and
established connection to server.
- Each of 10 threads issuing 10,000 read requests of keys randomly
selected from pool of 1000 keys. All keys are present on HBase and
table is pinned in memory (to make sure we don't have any disk seeks).
- If we run this test with 10 threads we get avg latency as seen by
client = 8ms (excluding initial 10 connection setup time) . But if we
increase # threads to 100, 250 to 500 we get increasing latency
numbers like 26ms, 51ms, 90ms.
- We have enabled HBase metrics on RS and we see "get_avg_time" on all
RS between 5-15ms in all tests, consistently.

Is this expected? Any tips to get consistent performance below 20ms?