hbase-user mailing list archives

From Time Less <timelessn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: major differences with Cassandra
Date Wed, 18 Aug 2010 18:11:08 GMT
HBase is run by persons who understand (or are willing to hear) the
operational requirements of distributed databases in high-volume
environments, whereas the Cassandra project isn't.

Talks about technical differences are really noise, because they're entirely
theoretical. When viewed with this knowledge, a lot of the disagreements,
flamewars, and shoutfests begin to make sense.

As of today, I'm unaware of any major feature Cassandra claims that it
actually delivers outside of installations run by the developers themselves.
Specifically: multi-DC, hinted handoff, compaction, dynamic cluster resizing
are all fail. The developers will adamantly claim all such features work
just fine. Good luck getting any of it to work in YOUR environment.

In stark contrast, I am intimately familiar with at least one large HBase
installation run by non-developers (at Mozilla).

Disclaimers: I am very familiar with the Cassandra product internals,
developers, history, and community. I am less familiar with HBase. I might
therefore have a rosy view of the HBase community based on ignorance. Also,
in a low-volume environment, pretty much anything works. Including
Cassandra. Or anything else. Any NoSQL. Any SQL. Pick whatever you want and
run with it.

--
timeless(ness)