hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Server-side write buffer configuration
Date Mon, 09 Aug 2010 20:13:50 GMT
> I see. 0.89 is the still a developer release and I hear that it is not stable. But it
sounds really tempting because it boosts performance by a lot. Can I trust it if my final
goal is to insert about 100TB of data? What could be the possible issues? Also when shall
I expect to see a stable release?

The problem will be your 6 machines, not the software. And if you need
to insert that much data, please use the bulk uploader as it will be
much faster: http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.89.20100621/bulk-loads.html

> So in order to do multiple-client insertion I basically just need to create multiple
HTable objects to handle the insertions? Do I need to do multi-threading manually?

By multiple clients I mean multiple JVMs, you can also do
multi-threading inside each client with their own HTable (since it's
not thread-safe). But please use the bulk loader.

> And finally a possibly stupid question: how do I check what is the total number of regions?

Check the "status" command in the shell, or checkout the master web UI
on port 60030 like it says here
http://hbase.apache.org/docs/r0.20.6/api/overview-summary.html#runandconfirm

J-D