hbase-user mailing list archives

From George Stathis <gstat...@gmail.com>
Subject High OS Load Numbers when idle
Date Tue, 17 Aug 2010 18:03:08 GMT
Hello,

We have just setup a new cluster on EC2 using Hadoop 0.20.2 and HBase
0.20.3. Our small setup as of right now consists of one master and four
slaves with a replication factor of 2:

Master: xLarge instance with 2 CPUs and 17.5 GB RAM - runs 1 namenode, 1
secondarynamenode, 1 jobtracker, 1 hbasemaster, 1 zookeeper (uses its' own
dedicated EMS drive)
Slaves: xLarge instance with 2 CPUs and 17.5 GB RAM each - run 1 datanode, 1
tasktracker, 1 regionserver

We have also installed Ganglia to monitor the cluster stats as we are about
to run some performance tests but, right out of the box, we are noticing
high system loads (especially on the master node) without any activity
happening on the clister. Of course, the CPUs are not being utilized at all,
but Ganglia is reporting almost all nodes in the red as the 1, 5 an 15
minute load times are all above 100% most of the time (i.e. there are more
than two processes at a time competing for the 2 CPUs time).

Question1: is this normal?
Question2: does it matter since each process barely uses any of the CPU
time?

Thank you in advance and pardon the noob questions.

-GS