hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Whether by applying HBase, an application still needs RDBMS?
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 14:33:02 GMT

Why do people keep thinking of MySQL as a good RDBMS?

I'd recommend looking at IDS (Informix Dynamic Server) now part of IBM. They've changed their
licensing around a bit and there are some "free" options.
(You have to look at the licensing based on platform and your use case)

The real reason that makes IDS interesting is that it has better ER and extensibility than
any other database.
(Lowest TCO too. Just ask a certain retailer located in the Midwest. ;-)

Hadoop/HBase as part of some analytics to push/pull data from IDS makes a lot of sense.

Sorry for my mini-rant.

-Mike