hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: hbase regions reporting multiple times
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 00:35:41 GMT
This problem is "normal" or at least "expected" since Hadoop doesn't
support fsSync, so the last edits that went to a region server are
lost. Fortunately this is finally fixed in the upcoming release.

J-D

On Sat, Jul 10, 2010 at 3:15 AM, Jamie Cockrill
<jamie.cockrill@gmail.com> wrote:
> Arun,
>
> I had a very similar issue with my cluster when the regionserver with
> the .META. table on it crashed. It crippled the cluster for a while,
> but after shutting various things down and restarting them again, it
> seemed to work itself out eventually. I had to do this a few times and
> unfortunately I didn't keep a record of the order in which I shut
> things down and restarted them.
>
> The problem seemed to stem from the master thinking that META was
> stored on a node and that node having no knowledge of ever having held
> it. I tried a few major_compact of META, hoping that would fix it, but
> each failed with the same exception as below. The weird thing was that
> I could see (through the web UI on master) that META was now being
> held on a different regionserver.
>
> I wouldn't necessarily follow my lead in randomly shutting things down
> and hoping for the best as it may well have been something entirely
> different that fixed the issue in the end. If all else fails, try
> restarting the master and the regionservers a few times and see if
> that works out the kinks.
>
> thanks
>
> Jamie
>

> On 10 July 2010 04:48, Ryan Rawson <ryanobjc@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Others will have to chime in for details, but typically this means you
>> are having DNS issues.  That is the hostname is resolving to an ip and
>> not resolving back to the same name or vice versa or any other combo
>> of non-roundtripping involving ip and dns names.
>>
>> -ryan
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Arun Ramakrishnan
>> <aramakrishnan@languageweaver.com> wrote:
>>> I shutdown hbase. Added some new nodes to hdfs, rebalanced. Also added those
nodes to hbase regionservers.
>>> Then started hbase.
>>>
>>> I am having this strange problem where the new nodes let's say host1 thru host4
gets repeatedly reported/added to the regionservers list.

>>> Initially when I did a "report 'simple'" from the shell, it showed me 10 unique
hosts. Then within a matter of minutes it grew to 17 ( with the newly added hosts repeating
multiple times).

>>> Also, the web UI failed with the following error.
>>>
>>> ##############
>>> HTTP ERROR: 500
>>> Trying to contact region server 192.168.130.63:60020 for region .META.,,1, row
'', but failed after 3 attempts.
>>> Exceptions:
>>> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException:
.META.,,1
>>>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.getRegion(HRegionServer.java:2266)
>>>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.openScanner(HRegionServer.java:1845)
>>>        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor16.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>>        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
>>>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
>>>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Server.call(HBaseRPC.java:657)
>>>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Handler.run(HBaseServer.java:915)
>>>

>>> Any insight into why the regions get repeated multiple times. I did a  hadoop
fsck / and it reports that all the blocks have been replicated 3 times ( the configured value
).