hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Sanity check on inserts...
Date Wed, 28 Jul 2010 19:10:05 GMT
No such thing as "inserting a whole row", the new values will just be
put on top of the others, and you will see some_value.

You would need to issue a deleteAll on that family before restoring the backup.

J-D

On Wed, Jul 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM, Michael Segel
<michael_segel@hotmail.com> wrote:

> All,
>
> Just wanting to be safe...
>
> Suppose I have a Column family that has the following columns:
> foo and bar.
> (CF:foo, CF:bar)
>
> So in my table I have a row:
>
> Row_key | CF:foo   CF:bar
> Alpha     | foo_val1      bar_val1
>

> Later, I update the row with new data including a new column CF:retz
> So I have the following:
>
> Row_key | CF:foo          CF:bar     CF:retz
>
> Alpha     | foo_valX      bar_valX    some_value
>

> Later, I'm asked to restore the row from a back up.
>
> So when I re-insert the row with the row_key Alpha
> ( Alpha     | foo_val1      bar_val1)
>
> will I have :
> Row_key | CF:foo   CF:bar
>
> Alpha     | foo_val1      bar_val1
>
> or:
>
> Row_key | CF:foo          CF:bar     CF:retz
>

> Alpha     | foo_val1      bar_val1    some_value
>

> I imagine that when I write out a column family, I'm inserting the whole row so I wouldn't
see anything in the column (CF:retz) but I want to do a sanity check.