hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ryan Rawson <ryano...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: stumbleupon and hbase
Date Tue, 13 Jul 2010 04:48:03 GMT
Hi,

To answer your question in broader terms:

1. Sessions are tricky, they tend to have a 1:1 read/write model.
This would cause extreme version inflation in HBase without
appropriate action to mitigate it.  Generally speaking though, I
believe in HBase as a high performance low latency data store, so it
should fit nicely any systems that require those things.

2. If you can achieve the right level of performance in data retrieval, why not?

3. Very complex relational-based data might not be appropriate to
store in HBase. For example, indexes in HBase are not free and require
a bunch of things to make it happen.

Infrequently written, but heavily read things might not make sense in
HBase... ie: things you might use a CDN for.  Software downloads. Very
large media.  You might be able to use HBase as the source for things
that are cached in a layer like varnish or akamai.

-ryan