hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jamie Cockrill <jamie.cockr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: hbase regions reporting multiple times
Date Sat, 10 Jul 2010 10:15:51 GMT
Arun,

I had a very similar issue with my cluster when the regionserver with
the .META. table on it crashed. It crippled the cluster for a while,
but after shutting various things down and restarting them again, it
seemed to work itself out eventually. I had to do this a few times and
unfortunately I didn't keep a record of the order in which I shut
things down and restarted them.

The problem seemed to stem from the master thinking that META was
stored on a node and that node having no knowledge of ever having held
it. I tried a few major_compact of META, hoping that would fix it, but
each failed with the same exception as below. The weird thing was that
I could see (through the web UI on master) that META was now being
held on a different regionserver.

I wouldn't necessarily follow my lead in randomly shutting things down
and hoping for the best as it may well have been something entirely
different that fixed the issue in the end. If all else fails, try
restarting the master and the regionservers a few times and see if
that works out the kinks.

thanks

Jamie

On 10 July 2010 04:48, Ryan Rawson <ryanobjc@gmail.com> wrote:
> Others will have to chime in for details, but typically this means you
> are having DNS issues.  That is the hostname is resolving to an ip and
> not resolving back to the same name or vice versa or any other combo
> of non-roundtripping involving ip and dns names.
>
> -ryan
>
> On Fri, Jul 9, 2010 at 6:41 PM, Arun Ramakrishnan
> <aramakrishnan@languageweaver.com> wrote:
>> I shutdown hbase. Added some new nodes to hdfs, rebalanced. Also added those nodes
to hbase regionservers.
>> Then started hbase.
>>
>> I am having this strange problem where the new nodes let's say host1 thru host4 gets
repeatedly reported/added to the regionservers list.

>> Initially when I did a "report 'simple'" from the shell, it showed me 10 unique hosts.
Then within a matter of minutes it grew to 17 ( with the newly added hosts repeating multiple
times).

>> Also, the web UI failed with the following error.
>>
>> ##############
>> HTTP ERROR: 500
>> Trying to contact region server 192.168.130.63:60020 for region .META.,,1, row '',
but failed after 3 attempts.
>> Exceptions:
>> org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException: org.apache.hadoop.hbase.NotServingRegionException:
.META.,,1
>>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.getRegion(HRegionServer.java:2266)
>>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.regionserver.HRegionServer.openScanner(HRegionServer.java:1845)
>>        at sun.reflect.GeneratedMethodAccessor16.invoke(Unknown Source)
>>        at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
>>        at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
>>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseRPC$Server.call(HBaseRPC.java:657)
>>        at org.apache.hadoop.hbase.ipc.HBaseServer$Handler.run(HBaseServer.java:915)
>>

>> Any insight into why the regions get repeated multiple times. I did a  hadoop fsck
/ and it reports that all the blocks have been replicated 3 times ( the configured value ).