hbase-user mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Secondary indexes in 0.89
Date Wed, 07 Jul 2010 15:36:40 GMT
On Wed, Jul 7, 2010 at 6:44 AM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Todd,
>
> It seems that I'm not the only one looking at this issue. ;-)
>
> Secondary indexes are going to be an issue to many people who adopt HBase
> and MapReduce.
>
> I'd hope that the keepers of HBase rethink their decision to push contrib
> out to Github.

Hey Mike,

I think everyone in the community acknowledges the importance of secondary
indexes - clearly they're a useful construct, and long term, we absolutely
need them to be fully supported. However, right now the top priority is to
stabilize core, and having the contrib packages part of it was detrimental
to that goal (eg a bunch of performance regressions were introduced in an
earlier dot release of the 0.20 branch due to changes for indexing)

As is the case with every software team in the world, we have limited
resources available to us, and right now, I think the resources are best
served by stabilizing and improving core. Having the contribs out on github
means it's easy for others to pick up the projects and maintain them against
HBase trunk. Maybe you, Jamie, and a few others who need indexes can get
together and help us out here?

Thanks,
-Todd

-Mike