hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: online automatic region merge
Date Fri, 09 Jul 2010 04:27:04 GMT
HBASE-1621 isn't about automatic merging and it's still very experimental.

The issue with doing automatically is that you have to figure that two
regions, together, are smaller in size than the max size of a region
to split. At the same time, it's not because two regions are small
that you want to merge them, maybe they are taking inserts and are
still growing. Lots of things to take into consideration, to solve a
problem that is normally generated by a use case that's typically
heavy on deletes or that updates the same cells a lot (creating too
many versions that are often garbage collected... but after the splits
happen). This is atypical, and can probably be solved by changing
HBase is used. This is why this is low priority for the dev community
and there's currently no planning done for it.

That said, HBase is an open source project and we accept contributions 24/7 ;)

J-D