hbase-user mailing list archives

From Ken Weiner <...@gumgum.com>
Subject Re: Smallest production HBase cluster
Date Fri, 23 Jul 2010 16:53:42 GMT
Hi,

We have a small cluster (0.20.4 currently) serving real time requests, 1
Master/NameNode/ZK and 3 RegionServers/DataNode on EC2. All nodes are
currently m1.large.  We realize that we are way underpowered compared to
most recommendations.  We plan to add nodes and likely increase the power of
each node as our HBase usage grows which is easy to do on EC2.  Our cluster
has been running smoothly for the most part.  We did have one issue with a
RS CPU spiking to 100% because of heavy inserts, but splitting a small
region manually took care of it.  We run a few MapReduce jobs that aggregate
data from one HBase table to another.  We spin those up on Amazon Elastic
MapReduce (separate nodes from our HBase cluster).

-Ken