hbase-user mailing list archives

From Friso van Vollenhoven <fvanvollenho...@xebia.com>
Subject Re: real world usage, any web applications built using hbase?
Date Mon, 12 Jul 2010 16:47:31 GMT
We are working on porting an application from a MySQL solution to HBase. There is info at http://www.ripe.net/ris/index.html.
It's pretty academic (mostly interesting for large network operators and people investigating
IP hijacking and the like). We basically aggregate data collected at several internet exchanges.

Point is we are currently at the limit of scaling the MySQL solution and our HBase prototype
has no problem with the load. Whenever new data comes in, we do a read-modify-write on existing
records, so it's not only appending data. Querying is also pretty much random access. So the
usage pattern is not unlike what you could expect in typical web app scenarios. Currently,
our service can only provide answers for a three months time period; with HBase we aim to
up that to several years.

Some information we store still goes in MySQL. This is a small amount of data that maps better
to the relational model (configuration, meta stuff, etc.). A combination of relational and
non-relational, better scalable storage can work well. The development effort that goes into
it, is in our experience relatively cheap compared to the effort of continuously scaling out
a relational database.

Friso