hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: Zero-copy reads
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:18:23 GMT
Can you provide more links to comments in jira mentioning "loss of zero copy reads"?

Basically what this is referring to are changes made in the 0.20 release of HBase related
to the block-based HFile format, the KeyValue data pointer, and other stuff like the Result
client return type and the block cache.

Previously (in 0.19 and before), when executing read queries, we would make copies of the
values we were reading into separate byte arrays to return back to the client.  There wasn't
much of a way around this until the introduction of blocks and KeyValue.

Now, once we read in a block from an HFile (which contains a bunch of KeyValues appended to
each other), we don't physically copy the bytes anymore.  Rather, we use KeyValue to point
to the different KVs contained in the block.  Underneath, KeyValue is nothing more than a
byte[], offset, and length (essentially, a pointer into a larger byte[]).

We pass these KeyValues (which really point into larger blocks) all the way back to the client
via the Result data type.

Does that make sense?

As far as I know, nothing has changed this in 0.20 or trunk.

JG