hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: zookeeper & HBase
Date Thu, 08 Jul 2010 23:24:55 GMT
ZK is sensitive to IO starvation which is why it is recommended to keep it on a separate node
or separate disk.  In most cases, giving ZK its own disk is sufficient and dedicated node(s)
are unnecessary.

On smallish clusters like 10 nodes, I would recommend starting with just 1 ZK node co-located
with your NameNode and HMaster, but with a dedicated disk just for ZK.  Since the NN is a
SPOF, having one ZK doesn't really lower your fault tolerance, except that it may be on a
non-raided disk.  I encourage RAID usage for NN and ZK.  JBOD for DN/RS.

JG