hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Schlesiger, Chris (Civ, ARL/CISD)" <chris.schlesi...@us.army.mil>
Subject Rows added but not showing up (UNCLASSIFIED)
Date Thu, 01 Jul 2010 14:06:04 GMT
Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

I'm having a strange issue that I need some help with.

I'm running a hadoop cluster with 1 name server, 26 data nodes, 1
zookeeper server, 1 hmaster, and 26 region servers with Hadoop 0.20.1
and Hbase 0.20.4.

I have a java program inserting rows from raw xml files into HBase. I've
run it a few times and I keep running into this issue. My program
reports no errors when inserting the rows and column families. No
exceptions are raised. However, when I go into the hbase shell and count
the rows I've just inserted, it reports 0 rows.

My program is not complicated. It's just opening an parsing an xml file,
looping through using the same HTable object and creating Put objects
and adding the data, and putting it in. I'm also using Get objects to
check for duplicates before doing the Put, all using the same HTable.
Seems straightforward to me.

Last night I imported 246K rows, and this morning the shell says there
are still 0 rows. I've used hadoop to browse the Hbase folder and the
folder for my table exists and definitely does contain the folders for
my column families and there are large files there which would indicate
that the data is present in Hadoop, but HBase is still reporting no
data. I've run major_compact on .META. and my table to no avail.

I've looked at the hmaster log, and I think I tracked down the right
hregion log (based on what the hbase web page says is running for that
table) and I see no exceptions. I'm still on the default log levels of
info and debug as installed by Hbase.

I'm totally mystified. Has anyone seen anything similar to this and has
an idea what to look for? I haven't posted the logs anywhere yet because
that's a bit tricky for me to get them out of the lab (we're running
standalone, not connected to the net).

Thanks for any help in advance

Chris Schlesiger
cschles@arl.army.mil