hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Nguyen <andrew-lists-hb...@ucsfcti.org>
Subject Re: HBase minimum block size for sequential access
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 17:30:51 GMT
Perfect thanks, I will run some experiments and keep you posted.

Aside from just getting elapsed time on scans of various sizes, are there any other tips on
what sorts of measurements to perform?  Also, since I'm doing the experiments with various
block sizes anyways, any requests for other types of benchmarks?

Thanks,
Andrew

On Jul 27, 2010, at 10:13 AM, Jean-Daniel Cryans wrote:

>> Thanks for the heads up.  Do you know what happens if I set this value larger than
5MB?  We will always be scanning the data, and always in large blocks.  I have yet to calculate
the typical size of a single scan but imagine that it will usually be larger than 1MB.

> I never tried that, hard to tell, but always eager to hear about
> others' experiences :)
>

>> Also, is there any way to change the block size with data already in HBase?  Our
current import process is very slow (preprocessing of the data) and we don't have the resources
to store the preprocessed data.