hbase-user mailing list archives

From Vaibhav Puranik <vpura...@gmail.com>
Subject Sorting columns
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 18:14:26 GMT
Hi all,

We have a HBase table with a column family. Every row can have millions of
columns in the column family. Thus the structure is:

rowKey: {data: {string1:0, string2:5, string3:7, string4:89,
string5:56.......}}

Where data is the column family. string1, string2... are the column names
and the number in front of them is the column value.

Is there any way to get the columns in the sorted order of its values? We
want to get the first few columns only evertime we scan the table.
The rest of the data needs to be accessed occasionally. We want to avoid
getting it shipped to the client as it makes our map reduce job go out of
memory.

I couldn't find a way to sort columns by its value in the API. We are using
the latest version - 0.20.4 with hadoop 0.20.2.

Regards,
Vaibhav
GumGum
http://whynosql.com