hbase-user mailing list archives

From Sarah Sproehnle <sa...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Suggestion on HBQL
Date Fri, 18 Jun 2010 22:12:53 GMT
HI Ravi,

On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Ravikumar MAV <ravimav@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I am very new to Hbase world and had the following questions in mind. Could
> anyone take some time to answer them when one has some free time?
>
> 1) Is HBase meant for real time access through website (At least just for
> reads)? Can real time performance be achieved (when compared to MySQL
> cluster) with reasonable clustor configuration and for 100M to 200M
> records?. This may be unfair comparison as its BigTable vs Relational, but
> just want to get the opinion.

HBase and MySQL Cluster will achieve comparable throughput of single
row reads/writes with modest amounts of data (say up to 100GB).  On
larger data sets, MySQL Cluster won't scale very well because it
requires that all indexes fit in ram across the cluster.

I'll have to let someone else address your other questions.

--
Sarah Sproehnle
Educational Services