hbase-user mailing list archives

From Stack <st...@duboce.net>
Subject Re: OOME during frequent updates...
Date Thu, 10 Jun 2010 14:13:17 GMT
On Wed, Jun 9, 2010 at 11:29 PM, Vidhyashankar Venkataraman
<vidhyash@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>   If a region server is more fragmented, there could be potentially a lot more incomplete
flushes if the global memstore is always near-full.. Which means more number of small compactions..
Is this right?

If global memory barrier is coming down a bunch, yes, you could be
flushing lots of small files.  Compactions should hoover them.

>   Is it better to have fat regions (I am thinking 8-10 gigs) for a large number (100's)
of nodes ?

We've little experience w/ regions of this size.  I'd suggest start
with compressed 1G regions.  See how that goes for you first.

St.Ack