hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: experiences with hbase-2492
Date Tue, 15 Jun 2010 16:10:35 GMT
Friso,

This is very interesting, and nobody answered probably because no one
tried tcp_tw_recycle. I personally didn't even know about that config
until a few minutes ago ;)

So from the varnish mailing list, it seems that machines behind
firewalls or NAT won't play well with that config, but I don't expect
anyone running a cluster with that kind of setup... unless they are
doing cross-DC or whatnot.
http://www.mail-archive.com/varnish-misc@projects.linpro.no/msg02912.html

Good stuff!

J-D

On Mon, Jun 14, 2010 at 11:40 PM, Friso van Vollenhoven
<fvanvollenhoven@xebia.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Since I got no replies to my previous message (see below), I went ahead and set the tcp_tw_recycle
to true. This worked like a charm. The number of sockets in TIME_WAIT went down from many
thousands to just a couple (tens). Apparently, once set to true, the recycling happens quite
eagerly. Most importantly, the regionservers no longer shut down (which was the goal). I am
sharing the info here, just in case it might help someone sometime.

> Cheers,
> Friso
>

> On Jun 11, 2010, at 11:55 AM, Friso van Vollenhoven wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>> We are experiencing a lot of "java.net.BindException: Cannot assign requested address",
which is a case of https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/hbase-2492. At some point, all grinds
to a halt and regionservers start to shut down.

>> I was wondering if anyone has found a way around this problem (other than adding
more machines to spread the load or reduce the work load). Has anyone been able to successfully
apply the patch in https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/HDFS-941 to 0.20.2? Or does anyone
have experience with setting the /proc/sys/net/ipv4/tcp_tw_recycle to 1 (true) at the OS level?