hbase-user mailing list archives

From Eric Sammer <esam...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Hadoop vs HBase
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 16:32:44 GMT
Hadoop is a distributed file system plus a map reduce computation
layer. It's geared toward processing large datasets in parallel and is
well suited to batch operations (i.e. jobs that take ~10 minutes and
higher). HBase sits on top of Hadoop and uses the distributed file
system (HDFS) as storage layer for a distributed column oriented
database. HBase can do fast random access of individual rows (~2ms -
10ms) while scaling to enormous sizes. HBase can also act as the
source or destination of a map reduce job although this would only be
useful in a batch situation. Additional information and details can be
found at http://hadoop.apache.org and http://hbase.apache.org. For
more specific answers about suitability for a certain job, we'd need
to know more about your system and what you're trying to do.

Hope that helps.