hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject RE: Lily pre-release info available
Date Tue, 08 Jun 2010 17:35:29 GMT
> From: Gibbon, Robert, VF-Group
[...]
> It was noted by some that Hbase has pretty much eclipsed
> Cassandra since FB dumped it in favour of hbase - but I
> guess its no competition...

I don't see it as a competition. These two systems solve a similar but partially disjoint
set of scalability problems in different ways. Sometimes one has a better fit for a use case,
sometimes the other.

Rackspace is heavily invested in improving Cassandra.

On our part, we're getting more and more invested in improving HBase as we ramp up. There
are others.

To each their own.

That said, I would be lying if I didn't say that brings me some joy, mainly because in my
view the "marketing" for that other project sometimes goes into the shady areas we see in
the commercial space. If there is any advantage HBase has, in my experience the caliber and
integrity of the HBase committers is top notch, and their focus is on tech not buzz sometimes
to the project's disadvantage against aggressive marketers.

   - Andy