hbase-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Einspanjer <deinspan...@mozilla.com>
Subject Need help trying to balance HBase RegionServer load
Date Thu, 17 Jun 2010 15:42:41 GMT
  Currently, in our production cluster, almost all of the traffic for a
day ends up assigned to a single RS and that causes the load on that
machine to be too high.

With our last release, we salted our rowkeys so that rather than
starting with the date:

100617<guid>

they now start with the first letter of the guid followed by the date:

e100617<guid_that_starts_with_e>

When I look at the region assignments though, I see a single server
assigned the following regions:

0100617...

1100617...

2100617...

3100617...

4100617...

d100617...

e100617...

f100617...

Is there anything we can do to try to get the cluster to shuffle this up
some more?
We are getting compaction times in the minutes (one I saw was over 12
minutes) and this causes our clients to time out and shut down which
causes production outages.

-Daniel