hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>
Subject Re: Optimal block size for large columns
Date Wed, 19 May 2010 15:05:36 GMT
Currently every block requires another HDFS fetch.  There are open
jiras about prefetching all required blocks, in which case there would
be no difference.

Your best bet is to test and benchmark with varied block and row
sizes.  If you show big perf hits for multiple blocks, that would be a
good argument for getting prefetching implemented (at an already
largish size if 64k it's not clear how beneficial it will be).

Please share your findings if you do any more experimentation.