hbase-user mailing list archives

From Vidhyashankar Venkataraman <vidhy...@yahoo-inc.com>
Subject Additional disk space required for Hbase compactions..
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 18:55:35 GMT
Hi guys,
  I am quite new to Hbase.. I am trying to figure out the max additional disk space required
for compactions..

  If the set of small Hfiles amount to a size of U in total, before a major compaction happens
and the 'behemoth' HFile has size M, assuming the resultant size of the Hfile after compaction
is U+M (worst case has only insertions) and a replication factor of r, then disk space taken
by the Hfiles is 2r(U+M).. Is this estimate reasonable? (This also is based on my understanding
that compactions happen on HDFS and not on the local file system: am I correct?)...

Thank you
Vidhya