hbase-user mailing list archives

From Imran M Yousuf <imyou...@gmail.com>
Subject Availability Transaction and data integrity
Date Mon, 17 May 2010 15:13:33 GMT
Hi,

Currently we are designing an architecture for a Accounting SaaS and
e-commerce website. As both of them will store financial data -
transaction, redundancy, HA and data integrity is very important. As I
am not a master of HBase architecture and implementation I am eagerly
waiting for your comments on as follows:

* We will go live from January 2011, in that time frame should we
develop using 0.21-SNAPSHOT or should we stick to 0.20.x? Ideally I
would not want to go ahead with a snapshot in production and also
would not want to make an upgrade within few months (because of some
problems noticed in the mailing list regarding upgrade and I am a bit
skeptical about it in general).
* Transaction was a contrib module of HBase but it seems recently
removed from the 0.21-SNAPSHOT. In light of it what would be the way
to achieve transaction?
* NN was (if I am not mistaken) a SPoF, I also learnt that its
supposed to be fixed in 0.21, is that in trunk already?
* What kind of data loss should we design to?
* Is there any professional service provider who could help us train
for deployment, help optimize and in case we need emergency provide
service? (P.S. I contacted Cloudera via email 11 days back and still
waiting for a reply, may be they are not interested any alternate
would do great!)

I eagerly hope for some help and guideline on these queries.

--
Imran M Yousuf
Entrepreneur & Software Engineer