hbase-user mailing list archives

From Saajan <ssangra...@veriskhealth.com>
Subject HBase Design Considerations
Date Mon, 03 May 2010 06:42:18 GMT

We are working on a prototype to migrate our healthcare database, currently
in Oracle, to HBase.
Our java based web application allows end users to search patients on over
50 different criteria through a query builder interface: typical queries
involve identifying members who match filter conditions on diagnosis,
procedures, doctors and hospitals, time intervals, employer and so forth.
The database has records for over 5 million patients for a number of years,
and is around 10 TB in size.
A major design issue we are facing is to allow fast querying in HBase with
so many searchable columns. We are experimenting with secondary index
tables, multiple tables etc., but haven't been able to reach a conclusion on
the way ahead. Expected user response time is up to 4 seconds.

Would highly appreciate comments on how HBase is used to support search
applications and how we can support search / filter across multiple criteria
in HBase.

Thanks
Saajan