hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jean-Daniel Cryans <jdcry...@apache.org>
Subject Re: HTable Client RS caching
Date Thu, 08 Apr 2010 16:39:34 GMT
On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:38 PM, Al Lias <al.lias@gmx.de> wrote:
> Occationally my HTable clients get a response that no server is serving
> a particular region...
> Normally, the region is back a few seconds later (perhaps a split?).

Or the region moved.

> Anyway, the client (Using HTablePool) seems to need a restart to forget
> this.

Seems wrong, would love a stack trace.

> Is there a config value to manipulate the caching time of regionserver
> assignments in the client?

Nope, when the client sees a NSRE, it queries .META. to find the new location.

> I set a small value for hbase.client.pause to get failures fast. I am
> using 0.20.3 .

Splits are still kinda slow, takes at least 2 seconds to happen, but
finding the new location of a region is a core feature in HBase and
it's rather well tested, Can you pin down your exact problem? Next
time a NSRE happens, see which region it was looking for and grep the
master log for it, you should see the history and how much time it
took to move.