hbase-user mailing list archives

From Pierre-Alexandre St-Jean <pierrealexandre.stj...@gmail.com>
Subject Temporal database - infinite timestamp numbers
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 18:34:06 GMT
Hi,

I am quite new to hbase but i love the simplified api and the way it scales.
I currently have a 3 node cluster of virtual machines and removing and
adding them is really easy.

I am in some data modeling struggle. I want to build some type of temporal
database so here are my ideas and maybe you could tell me what would be the
best to do.

I want to analyze data over time. each data point has got attributes and
then multiple values over time

   #1- infinite versions

 Table Row Key Family Attributs  points point name attributes Contains the
column keys : description,unit. 1 Version      value No column key. Infinite
versions

 #2- value column = time

 Table Row Key Family Attributs  points point name attributes Contains the
column keys : description,unit. 1 Version      value column keys = time

 # 3- point name /time = value

 Table Row Key Family Attributs  points point name attributes Contains the
column keys : description,unit. 1 Version    point name / time value no
column key 5 versions (to keep modifications)

 #4 -
value column = time

 Table Row Key Family Attributs  points point name attributes Contains the
column keys : description,unit. 1 Version  pointsValues point name / time
value no column key 5 versions (to keep modifications)

I tought #1 would be the simplest then i tried to create an infinite
versions family and it did not work (puttin 0 as number).

#2 seems good but i think it would be hard to analyze the data over time
like that.

So #3 and #4 are remaining.

I would do #3 but i don't know if it would be easy to iterate and know which
data point exists skipping the /time part.
--
Pierre-Alexandre St-Jean