hbase-user mailing list archives

From N Kapshoo <nkaps...@gmail.com>
Subject HBase schema option consideration
Date Thu, 15 Apr 2010 16:05:03 GMT
This is an HBase schema design question. Suppose I store blog enty details
in an hbase table:
blogid, blog_content, blog_author, blog_subject.

My query is such that it always retrieves all this data at the same time.

So is it a better idea to store all this in a single json/protobuf object or
actually separate out the details into column families?

Option1:

Table          RowKey          Column Family          Value
Blogs          BlogId                   Details                JSON(Content,
Author, Subject)

Option2:

Table          RowKey          Column Family
Blogs           BlogId                   Content
                                                Author
                                                Subject

I was thinking of option1 because it seems it might be faster since all
details will be physically stored together. But option2 is what seems to be
the trend when I look at other basic HBase schema examples out there.

Please let me know opinions and if I am on the right track...

Thanks in advance.