hbase-user mailing list archives

From Edward Capriolo <edlinuxg...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Theoretical question...
Date Thu, 29 Apr 2010 20:39:57 GMT
On Thu, Apr 29, 2010 at 4:31 PM, Michael Segel <michael_segel@hotmail.com>wrote:

> Imagine you have a cloud of 100 hadoop nodes.
> In theory you could create multiple instances of HBase on the cloud.
> Obviously I don't think you could have multiple region servers running on
> the same node.
>
> The use case I was thinking about if you have a centralized hadoop cloud
> and you wanted to have multiple developer groups sharing the cloud as a
> resource rather than building their own clouds.
>
> The reason for the multiple hbase instances is that you don't have a way of
> setting up multiple instances like different Informix or Oracle
> databases/schemas on the same infrastructure.
>
> Thx
>
> -Mike

> The New Busy is not the too busy. Combine all your e-mail accounts with
> Hotmail.

HOD (Hadoop on demand) works like this. You can do this type of thing a few
ways. You can do virtualization at the OS level. If you notice carefull most
tools take a --confdir argument. You could also setup all the configuration
files so that there are no port conflicts (essentially what HOD docs). This
is akin to running multiple instances of apache or myself on your nodes.
Resource management gets tricky as does the configuration files but there is
nothing techincally stopping anyone from doing this.