hbase-user mailing list archives

From Todd Lipcon <t...@cloudera.com>
Subject Re: Very long time between node failure and reasing of regions.
Date Tue, 27 Apr 2010 18:48:55 GMT
Hi Michal,

Thanks for the details on your versions, etc.

The 0.20.5 branch (and the Cloudera HDFS CDH3 dev build branch) are both
very much works in progress. My guess is that you're running into HBASE-2482
which is causing your regions to go missing, etc. There are also several
known bugs in the HDFS patch series that you're using - I'm still working
through one or two of them and will update the tarball again when they're
fixed. For now, I don't think the logs will be particularly helpful, as they
most likely will just point to issues I've either already fixed locally or
am aware of and working out.

Regarding your uptime requirements, my personal recommendation is that, if
you want something like 5 nines of uptime, you will need to run two entirely
distinct HBase clusters. Hadoop does not support rolling upgrades, and HBase
only supports such between certain releases. So, your goals of running
bleeding edge software with patches and updates are at odds with your goals
of uptime.

Obviously, HA is an important thing for a lot of use cases like yours, and
it is something the Hadoop community at large is working towards over the
next year (eg the BackupNode in Hadoop trunk, Avro work for RPC
compatibility, etc).

-Todd

--
Todd Lipcon