hbase-user mailing list archives

From "Geoff Hendrey" <ghend...@decarta.com>
Subject optimizing for random access
Date Mon, 26 Apr 2010 18:33:38 GMT
Hi,

Any pointers on how to optimize hbase for random access? My
understanding is that HFile is decent at random access. Why doesn't it
use memory mapped I/O? (my reading on it indicated it uses "something
like NIO").  I'd like my entire table to be distributed across region
servers, so that random reads are quickly served by a region server
without having to transfer a block from HDFS. Is this the right
approach? I would have thought that some sort of memory-mapped region
file would be perfect for this. Anyway, just looking to understand the
best practice(s).

-geoff