hbase-user mailing list archives

From Andrew Purtell <apurt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Theoretical question...
Date Fri, 30 Apr 2010 01:09:35 GMT
> From: Michael Segel

> Imagine you have a cloud of 100 hadoop nodes.
> In theory you could create multiple instances of HBase on
> the cloud.
> Obviously I don't think you could have multiple region
> servers running on the same node.
> The use case I was thinking about if you have a centralized
> hadoop cloud and you wanted to have multiple developer
> groups sharing the cloud as a resource rather than building
> their own clouds.

This is somewhat like HOD (http://hadoop.apache.org/common/docs/current/hod_user_guide.html).
Have you looked at that?

> The reason for the multiple hbase instances is that you
> don't have a way of setting up multiple instances like
> different Informix or Oracle databases/schemas on the same
> infrastructure.

Right.

Well there is a simple (and under development, lightly tested as yet, etc.) multiuser mode
in Stargate that gives multiple users each the illusion of a private HBase instance while
sharing a common HBase cluster underneath. This is something I'll continue to work on as I
have time.

Also my employer is sponsoring development of HBASE-1697, and integration of HBase into the
secure version of Hadoop (http://bit.ly/75011o) that Yahoo is working on. For example HBase
would offer RBAC and might also use HDFS block tokens in a manner that allows you to reason
about user isolation down through the whole stack.

salesforce.com is a multitenant service built on a shared database infrastructure. They've
talked about their rationale for building their SaaS service this way. It's worth it to Google
a bit to find it and read. Partitioning cloud resources increases management complexity and
reduces the benefit of the cloud -- the efficiencies of scale. It's technically possible to
partition cloud resources but economically inefficient and suboptimal to do so.

   - Andy