hbase-user mailing list archives

From Lars Francke <lars.fran...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: worth choosing the shortest possible column names/keys?
Date Fri, 12 Mar 2010 20:02:04 GMT
> Will I save a lot of space (especially if I have many small columns)?

I don't have any hard numbers for you but I tested it and I remember
that on a dataset of about 10-20 GB I could save about 200-500 MB
(this was with compression enabled) just by not using descriptive
sting qualifiers that weren't data by itself. A lot of small columns
for me too (mostly counters). I use a simple mapping of short byte
arrays to strings so that it is still very easy to use in the client.

I asked that very same question a few months ago on IRC but I think
nobody answered so I'd be interested in what others do as well.

Cheers,
Lars