hbase-user mailing list archives

From Michael Segel <michael_se...@hotmail.com>
Subject RE: Master binds only to loopback
Date Mon, 22 Mar 2010 20:26:13 GMT

> Date: Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:02:17 -0700
> Subject: Re: Master binds only to loopback
> From: ryanobjc@gmail.com
> To: hbase-user@hadoop.apache.org
>
> The way the HBase master binds is this generalized algorithm:
>
> - get the host name (on posix systems this is generally reported by hostname)
> - do DNS lookup on hostname
> - use that IP as 'my ip' and bind to that IP:60000
>
> good luck!
> -ryan

Ok, so HBase like Hadoop uses the hostname then goes to DNS to resolve the hostname.
If DNS is set up, does it skip /etc/hosts altogether, or depending on how DNS is set up, will
it eventually get to /etc/hosts?

And how often does the HBase master bind? Just once?

Sorry to jump in on this conversation, but I'm curious if there's any work to fix it so if
a machine is dual nic'd (two nics, each pointing to a different network) that you can specify
which nic you want to use for connectivity for a resource. (Imagine if you have a private
lan for the cloud and then an external interface.)

Thx

-Mike