hbase-user mailing list archives

From Jonathan Gray <jg...@facebook.com>
Subject RE: Porting SQL DB into HBASE
Date Wed, 31 Mar 2010 16:53:41 GMT
Kranthi,

HBase can handle a good number of tables, but tens or maybe a hundred.  If you have 500 tables
you should definitely be rethinking your schema design.  The issue is less about HBase being
able to handle lots of tables, and much more about whether scattering your data across lots
of tables will be performant at read time.

1)  Impossible to answer that question without knowing the schemas of the existing tables.

2)  Not really any relation between fault tolerance and the number of tables except potentially
for recovery time but this would be the same with few, very large tables.

3)  No difference in write performance.  Read performance if doing simple key lookups would
not be impacted, but most like having data spread out like this will mean you'll need joins
of some sort.

Can you tell more about your data and queries?

JG